Welcome to Taiwan.
Home to some our most favorite Oolong teas which most definitely includes Baozhong.
Pouchong or Baozhong in Mandarin, means “wrapped in paper” referring to an original older and unique processing style from the past when the tea was literally wrapped in paper during the drying process.
For Oolong lovers and TeaNerds reading this: Our Baozhong is oxidized at around 12% which is considered light oxidation and creates an end tea product that falls somewhere between green and oolong. It lacks the sharpness of some greens and is much more mild than other oolongs. It’s sweet, fresh, fruity, floral and buttery. It requires no sweeteners. In fact, adding any sugars would be almost down right sacrilegious and would ruin the complexity this tea has to offer.
Tea grown within Pinglin county in Northern Taiwan and processed in a specific style is considered the best quality of Pouchong – which is where ours is from.
The leaves of Baozhong are large, twisty and dark green. For brewing, its similar to other greener oolongs in terms of water temperature (175°F) and time. This tea can handle multiple infusions. I’ve gotten up to seven!
High in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals it has wonderful health benefits. There is research that suggests the following:
Increased Heart Health
- May improve your cardiovascular health and lower risk of heart disease
- May help lower cholesterol and reduce risk of heart attack and stroke
- Rich in Quercetin which may help dilate the blood vessels
Dual Effect: Relaxing / Stimulating
- Contains the amino acid L-theanine known to calm and relax the nervous system
- Combined with caffeine it increases alertness without the jitters
Skin, Bones, Teeth
- May keep your skin looking youthful and prevent signs of aging from antioxidants
- Fluorine and calcium in tea may strengthen bones and prevent tooth decay
That makes for a pretty strong case for drinking tea daily and trying Baozhong specifically. If you are a lover of Oolongs or are intrigued to try it for the first time, please enjoy 25% OFF our Baozhong at checkout by using code TEAGIVING10 on the website. You won’t regret welcoming this tea into your life.
Happy Sipping! (Kuàilè de chuài yǐn)
~The Chief Leaf